My roommate actually found this recipe for me online and repeatedly asked me to make it for her for at least a month. I told her “No” every time, but secretly was planning on surprising her with them for her birthday! And, being the amazing friend I am, I managed to whip up a batch for her while she was at a conference and she was so excited to come home to see them waiting for her.
So the original recipe makes the parfaits in mason jars, but I thought those servings would be too big and that my roommate (and more importantly, I) would enjoy them more if they were smaller and less daunting. I had these small clear cups on hand (I use them when giving individual cupcakes as gifts) and thought they were the perfect size to use for these parfaits.
I estimated the measurements for the layering part and didn’t try to make it look perfect. Honestly, no one is going to be looking at them for very long because they’ll be too busy devouring them. So try it out, have fun with it, and let me know how it turns out! 🙂
Oreo Cheesecake Parfaits
adapted from Spend with Pennies
(makes 12 small cups)
1 package of Oreos
chocolate pudding (or see below for homemade)
whipped topping (or see below for homemade)
to make cheesecake layer:
1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream (whipping cream)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese, softened
to make chocolate pudding:
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 1/4 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter
to make whipped cream:
1 cup cold heavy cream (whipping cream)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Place Oreo Cookies into a ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer. You want them broken up but not crushed completely into powder. Remove 2 tablespoons of crumbs and set aside for garnish.
- To make chocolate pudding: In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt, mix well. Add in cold milk, stir until combined. Turn heat onto medium high stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute while stirring, remove from heat and stir in butter. Cool completely stirring occasionally to avoid a skin forming.
- To make cheesecake layer: With an electric mixer, mix heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in softened cream cheese until mixed.
- To make whipped cream: Beat heavy cream and powdered sugar with an electric mixer at a high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Put the pudding, cheesecake layer, and whipped cream (if you made it from scratch) in large ziploc bags and pipe them into the cups: 2 tbsp pudding, 2 tbsp crushed Oreos, 2 tbsp cheesecake layer, 2 tbsp crushed Oreos, 2 tbsp cheesecake layer, 2 tbsp crushed Oreos, 2 tbsp pudding, 2 tbsp crushed Oreos, 1 tbsp whipped cream.