During my trip to NorCal, I couldn’t resist playing around with the ice cream machine we have at home because I haven’t really had the chance to try out yet. The idea for the recipe started with a completely impulsive purchase of Golden Oreos (I can seriously finish a box in 2-3 days by myself) at Target. So I went home, looked for an ice cream recipe, and came up with Golden Oreo Cookies ‘n Cream Ice Cream.
Golden Oreo Cookies n’ Cream Ice Cream
adapted from AllRecipes.com
(makes 2 quarts)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups half-and-half
8 egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
25 Golden Oreos, crushed to whatever size you want
- Pour the heavy cream and half-and-half cream into a heavy saucepan, place over medium-low heat, and heat until barely simmering, stirring frequently. Turn the heat down to low.
- Whisk together the vanilla extract, egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly pour about 1/2 cup of hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Repeat three times more, whisking thoroughly before adding each additional 1/2 cup of hot cream to the egg yolk mixture. Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining hot cream, and whisk constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens and will coat the back of a spoon, 5 to 8 minutes. Do not let mixture boil.
- Pour the ice cream base into a bowl and allow to cool for about 20 minutes then place in refrigerator and chill overnight.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions (or use another method to freeze the ice cream).
- Remove the ice cream, pack into a covered container, and freeze for 2 hours or overnight before serving.